These taste great but I'm still not completely convinced about this recipe - they don't rise or crack across the top in the way I would expect - and they are a bit chewier rather than crisp. Not sure if this is down to the way that I mix in the sugar and almonds - maybe I knock out too much of the air - I'm not sure. May give another recipe a go at some point soon.
- 340g/12oz ground almonds
- 340g/12oz caster sugar
- 4 eggs, whites only
- 30ml/1fl oz amaretto liquor
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3.
- Line two tins with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl beat the egg whites until firm.
- Mix the sugar and the almonds gently into it.
- Add the amaretto liquor and fold in gently until you have a smooth paste.
- Roll small balls of the paste and place on the baking trays – leaving at least 2cm between each as they will expand, whilst cooking.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool for a couple of minutes and then remove from baking trays and cool on a wire rack.