|Stem ginger cookies with lemon icing|
Having spent all morning lazing in bed and reading, I decided that I should do something a bit more productive with my Sunday afternoon. Unusually, I didn’t feel like faffing around with fancy decorative icing, so I decided to make some simple biscuits for EHH to take into his work. I had a flick through my recipe files and cook books, but wasn’t feeling particularly inspired so I decided to go with one of my tried-and-tested recipes.
I call these “condensed milk cookies” – they came from Sainsbury’s magazine ages ago, which called them “soft, American-style cookies”. They are amazing – a bit like “Millie’s Cookies” – with a crisp outside and soft, chewy centre. The magazine gave 6 variations – I made three types this weekend: lemon and ginger, oats and honey, and cherry and almond, with slight variations on the magazine’s recipes. I always feel the need to make more than one batch of these – once you’ve opened the tin of condensed milk, it seems a waste not to! However, I have got about half a tin left, so I may need to make some more later in the week!
Cherry and almond cookies
- 125g soft unsalted butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 tblsp condensed milk
- 175g self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
- 75g glace cherries, chopped finely
- 2 tblsp flaked almonds
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 75g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- Using an electric/stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the condensed milk and the almond essence.
- Add the flour and a pinch of salt and mix.
- Stir in the cherries.
- Roll into 12 walnut sized balls and space at least 5cm apart on 2 baking trays.
- Flatten them slightly with the back of a spoon.
- Scatter each cookie with flaked almonds.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until firm at the edges but still soft in the middle.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Once cool, drizzle with icing made up from the icing sugar and 1 tblsp water (optional).
Ginger and Lemon
Ginger and Lemon
- For Step 3: Omit almond essence.
- For Step 5: Omit cherries. Instead, add 2 tsp ground ginger, zest of one lemon and 75g of finely chopped crystallised or stem ginger.
- Omit Step 8.
- For Step 11, drizzle with icing made from 75g icing sugar with 1 tblsp lemon juice.