Sunday 6 July 2014

Key Lime Pie

Key lime pie

A couple of weekends ago, my brother and his girlfriend came to stay for a night. They spent the afternoon helping EHH in the garden and so I thought that I had better put together something good for dessert. I had already baked my mini blueberry and lemon loaf cakes for snacks (which my brother ate straight out of the tin!) and so didn’t want to make something cake-y for dinner. I’ve never made Key Lime Pie before and it is one of EHH’s favourite puds so I decided to give it a go.

I found this recipe on BBC Good Food’s website, but made a few adaptations based on the comments on the webpage. I reduced the butter in the base to 100g – which was plenty – and I used half Gingernuts and half Hobnobs instead of all Hobnobs, just to add an extra flavour dimension. As there were only four of us, I didn’t cover the pie in cream but served it on the side instead – so that we could keep the pie for longer in the fridge.

Making this dessert is fairly simple. Pressing the biscuit crumbs into the tart tin does take a bit of time but it is worth it. Make sure that you don’t end up with a very thick section around the rim rather than properly moulding the corners. I was worried about it coming neatly out of the tart tin - but as you can see, it came out beautifully! You do need to allow plenty of time for the pie filling to cool and set fully once it has been cooked – I didn’t leave mine for long enough and it was still a little runny.

Overall, I thought that this dessert was ok. I’m not a fan of the texture of the biscuit base (but I never am – I don’t like cheesecakes etc with similar bases) and I felt that the filling was perhaps a little sharp (perhaps due to using normal limes rather than key limes). I definitely preferred the lemon tart that I made a little while ago. However, EHH loved this one and my brother and his girlfriend also seemed to enjoy it.

(Key) Lime Pie

Ingredients
  1. 150g Hob Nobs
  2. 150g Gingernut biscuits
  3. 100g butter, melted
  4. 1 x 397g tin condensed milk
  5. 3 medium egg yolks
  6. finely grated zest and juice of 4 limes (preferably Key limes)
  7. 300ml double cream
  8. 1 tbsp icing sugar
  9. extra lime zest, to decorate

Method
  1. Heat the oven to 160C.
  2. Blitz the biscuits to crumbs in a food processor (or put in a strong plastic bag and bash with a rolling pin).
  3. Mix with the melted butter and press evenly across the base and up the sides of a 22cm loose-based tart tin.
  4. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and cool.
  5. Put the egg yolks in a large bowl and whisk for a minute with electric beaters.
  6. Add the condensed milk and whisk for 3 minutes then add the zest and juice and whisk again for 3 minutes.
  7. Pour the filling into the cooled base then put back in the oven for 15 minutes, or until set on top.
  8. Cool then chill for at least 3 hours or overnight if you like.
  9. When you are ready to serve, carefully remove the pie from the tin and put on a serving plate.
  10. To decorate, softly whip together the cream and icing sugar.
  11. Dollop or pipe the cream onto the top of the pie and finish with extra lime zest.


No comments:

Post a Comment